Scissors and pins:
* Place a silica pack from a medication bottle or a shoe box in with your needles and pins to keep them dry and free from rust.
* Use pencil grips to protect the points of your small pointed scissors. They will also help prevent poking and cutting fingers.
* Wind your binding on a toilet roll. Then tie a piece of ribbon through the cardboard tube and hang it around your neck. As you are sewing the binding onto the quilt, it rolls off nicely and does not tangle.
Taking blocks to class:
* When cutting out several blocks at once for a quilting class, keep track of them by placing each block on a paper plate, stacking as you go. This will make transport easy and keep them in the correct sequence!
Threading your sewing machine or hand needle:
* If you have trouble threading your sewing machine needle or any needle for that matter try this: for the sewing machine, place a small piece of white paper behind the needle with the left hand and thread with the right. For sewing needles, use any white or very light colored background. It works!
* Dampen your finger and pass it behind the eye of the machine needle. Then aim the thread in the general direction of the eye of the needle. Then pass my finger behind and across the needle eye. The moisture grabs the thread and pulls it through the needle eye.
Sewing machine tricks:
* Use 2 rubber wedge shaped doorstoppers behind your sewing machine to tilt it forward. It is so much easier to sew and to see where you are sewing.
How to get rid of stains:
* How to get blood out of your quilts: Dip a cotton ball in hydrogen peroxide or put your OWN saliva on a cotton bud and rub it into the stain and it will vanish.
* To relax the wrinkles in polyester quilt batting, open and unfold the batting and briefly warm it with your hair dryer. The wrinkles will vanish.
* Toe separators used for pedicures are perfect for holding bobbins and keeping thread from unravelling. They stack neatly, and you can see the thread colours at a glance.
* Hair ribbons tied around bobbins prevent them from unravelling. An excellent solution for taking only a few bobbins to class.